Monday, September 22, 2008

Meeting the Neighbors

I've pretty much met any of the neighbors that Darryell cares to introduce me to. Gwen has met and became friends with the kids in the neighborhood and enjoys playing with them after school. I still feel odd when Gwen goes off and plays in the neighborhood without me. The parents tell me over and over that the kids are safe when they're out playing and everyone keeps and eye on them. But I still feel weird when I'm not watching her. I feel like I should be paying whoever's mom's house they are playing at for 'baby-sitting' her. But they don't see it that way. I'll get used to it sooner or later. I need to get used to the fact that my little girl is spreading her wings and becoming more independant from me.
The people I have met have all been great about helping me feel welcome in the neighborhood. They're all so willing to help you out, even if you don't ask for it. I've got countless school uniform tops for Gwen and someone is always bring some type of southern food that I have to try out. I've been to a BBQ and a swim party with the parents of Gwen's friends. My first LSU football party, where they made some more southern food for me to try. (I need to get used to all the spicy foods) I was invited to Mae's son's birthday party at the bowling alley. Which Gwen was totally down for. I've gotten to hang out with Glenn. Who I met when he was in Terre Haute for work when Darryell was. He's really made me feel welcome here and treats me like his little sister. And his son is a big help when it comes to Gwen getting on and off the bus.
So as well as Gwen, I'm making friends too. Which is good, so I'll have someone other than Presley to talk to while Gwen's at school and Darryell's at work. And other than Darryell's family, I'll have then to invite to our wedding now. If we get married in town here. I'm still leaning towards Vegas though. I got a tip on great place to book from my friend Penny. But with me making friends, I may wanna do it here. Anyway, it's been good here and I'm starting to find my place with everyone here and they give Darryell good reviews about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment